Monday, March 22, 2010

Roast Lamb with Mint Pesto

Growing up, lamb was a treat around my house. We usually would have it for a special occassion on a Sunday night. Lamb roast and sometime lamb chops.. but always with mint sauce. I LOVE mint sauce! Nothing brings out the flavour of lamb like mint. For a twist on regular mint jelly or mint sauce, I like to serve my lamb with a mint pesto.

Paul inserted 3 or 4 cloves of garlic into the roast and then we rubbed it down with EVOO and sprinkled it with salt, pepper and italian seasoning. The lamb was roasted at 325 F until it reached an internal temperature of 160 F, then pulled out and tented under foil for 10 minutes. I roasted red-skin potatoes in with the lamb, and finished the meal off with some steamed broccoli.

My boyfriend and I are now both very full and very satisfied.

Mint Pesto

1 clove garlic
1/3 cup fresh mint, chopped
1/3 cup fresh parsley, chopped
2 tsp lemon juice
1 tsp salt
1/2 cup pine nuts
Extra Virgin Olive Oil (EVOO)

Using a hand blender, pulse the garlic. Add the mint, parsley, lemon juice and salt and pulse until coarsley chopped. Stir in the pine nuts and mix well. Pulse the pine nuts and slowly add EVOO until the mixture is combined to the desired consistency. Let the pesto rest for 20 minutes for the flavours to blend. Serve on your favourite cut of lamb.




3 comments:

  1. While I cannot comment on the food itself, I have to say the leftovers smelt quite tasty today at lunch! And now I'm hungry.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice photos. This looks and sounds delicious. Do you have any advice on measuring internal temperatures of stuff you cook? A good thermometer brand, or anything like that?

    ReplyDelete
  3. @davin - Nope, I just use one I got at walmart.. or maybe Canadian Tire. I use an old-school mercury (?) metal thermometer, not an eletronic one, and I've never been upset about it. It looks like this one

    http://www.foodutensils.com.au/images/292N30761_Meat_Thermometer.jpg

    The thing to remember about temping meats is that the meat will continue to cook for a few minutes after you pull it out of the over. You should pull the meat out 10 degrees cooler than what you are aiming for and then tent it under tin foil for 10 minutes to finish the cooking process. I usually roast at a lower heat and check the temperature about 30 minutes before I think the meat will be done and then decide how much longer I want to cook it.

    ReplyDelete