Thursday, April 8, 2010

Cheddar, Green Onion & Fresh Herb Biscuits

Happy Birthday, Mary!

Mary had a potluck birthday brunch last Sunday so I whipped up some biscuits to share with everyone. I got the inspiration from a blog I very much admire, Thibeault's Table. The blog belongs to a very nice lady and mother of a friend of mine and it's pretty much the most delicious-looking blog I've ever read.

I followed this recipe with a few slight modifications.

Cheddar, Green Onion & Fresh Herb Biscuits

Ingredients
2 cups flour
1 tbsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup butter
1 cup milk (I used whole milk)
1/3 cup chopped fresh italian flat-leaf parsley
2 tbsp chopped green onion
1/3 cup freshly grated cheddar


Directions
Mix dry ingredients together in a medium sized bowl. Cut in butter until evenly distriubuted and the mixture resembles coarse meal. Mis in the parsley, green onion and cheese. Stir in the milk but don't stir anymore than you have to. Turn dough out on to floury surface and knead 2-3 times. Do NOT over-handle the dough. Press out 1/2" thick and cut as many biscuits as you want. I've made six and twelve out of this amount of dough and I am pretty sure I prefer six. The biscuits are a much nicer size that way.

Bake at 450 for 12-15 min for bigger scones and around 10 minutes for smaller ones.

This batch, I made about 12-15 biscuits out of the dough. All the butter boiled right out the dough and my biscuits were practically swimming in a butter bath. It's possible I used too much butter, or my biscuits were just too small. They turned out fine - nice and crispy on the outside. This is probably also due to the oil in the cheese melting out during the baking process. In any event, the biscuits were very buttery and tastefully greasy and I think everyone enjoyed them.


1 comment:

  1. These look amazing and I want to eat one right now. Share next time?

    ReplyDelete