Sunday, April 25, 2010

Shrimp and Mushroom Caesar Salad

This recipe is a classic for me. I absolutely love Caesar salad, especially with a steak. It's a treat for me, because I don't really think this salad has much nutritional value. 90% of the salad is lettuce, which is just filler, and the other 10% is fun stuff like bacon, dressing and parmesan cheese. I like to bulk my Caesar up a bit to keep it interesting, and I stumbled across this combination a few years back and haven't modified the recipe since. It's delicious! 

I made the salad to go with steak topped with sautéed mushrooms (for me) and onions (for both us) and a yam/potato dish I sort of invented on the spot. I sliced up a yam and a potato quite thin using my handheld mandolin (thanks Aunt Carolyn!) and tossed them with olive oil, rosemary, chili powder and salt and pepper and cooked them in foil on the barbeque. That recipe needs some work, so I will feature it another time, once I've tweaked it a bit.

Shrimp and Mushroom Caesar Salad

Ingredients
1 head of romaine lettuce, washed and ripped up
1/2 cup shrimp, rinsed and patted dry
1/3 cup red onion, diced small
1/2 cup mushrooms, sliced and chopped
1 tbsp dried dill
croutons
Caesar dressing
parmesan cheese
salt and pepper to taste

Directions
1. Toss everything together. Croutons, dressing, parmesan and salt and pepper are all to taste. Personally, I like lots of croutons and parmesan and black pepper, but not a lot of salt. 

2. Eat!

I know - super complicated, right? 









1 comment:

  1. I think this is my favourite post so far! First off all I LOVE mushrooms in caesar salad, but no one ever agrees with me about this (have had many heated converstations on the topic lol) so I will now be directing the non-believers to this post! I also love my mandolin, but why the heck haven't I used it for potatos or yams?! Will have to change that soon!

    ReplyDelete