Friday, April 2, 2010

Grilled Portobello Mushroom Burger with Pesto & Goat Feta

This is for my friend Alison, who requested a vegetarian dish.

Paul is out of town for the weekend which means I can have mushrooms for dinner! I dreamed this up while walking the dog in the pouring down rain. I decided on vegetarian tonight because I've been eating left over ribs all day and thought some vegetables would probably do me some good. I'm also tired from writing my term paper all day, so I wanted something quick and easy. Everything just kind of fell into place.

I marinated the mushroom for about a half hour in balsamic vinegar, olive oil, italian seasoning and some salt and pepper. My BBQ wasn't starting and Paul wasn't here to fix it for me... but luckily, my neighbour and bus buddy Ken was around to start it up for me. Thank goodness! I doubt this would have turned out as well with a fried mushroom.

I whipped up a fresh basil pesto to use as a condiment and mad a big greek salad for a side dish. I was pretty disappointed with the bun I got from the Market on Millstream... I sliced it open and I guess there was a big air bubble in the dough, because the bun was pretty much hollow and practically stale.  In the end, it all worked out okay and I am delightfuly full.

Grilled Portobello Mushroom Burger with Pesto & Goat Feta

Mushroom Marinade
1 part balsamic vinegar
2 parts olive oil
italian seasoning
salt and pepper

You can make as litte or as much of this as you want, and season to taste. A good measurement would be 2 tbsp olive oil, 1 tbsp vinegar and 1/2 tsp of italian and just a sprinkling of salt and pepper. This recipe also doubles as a great salad dressing.

Place mushroom and marinade in small ziplock bag and remove all the air. Slosh around so the mushroom is nice and coated and let it sit for at least 15 minutes and longer if you can.

Heat your BBQ to medium-hot and grill mushroom until nice and tender and grilled-looking. Maybe 5 minutes on each side.

Fresh Basil Pesto
2 cloves garlic
1/2 cup fresh italian parsley (flat leaf)
1/2 cup fresh basil (I use the living basil)
1 tsp salt
1/2 lemon, juiced
1/4 cup pine nuts
1 tbsp olive oil
1/2 to 1 tbsp mayo or miracle whip

Pulse the garlic in an immersion blender. Add the parsely, basil, salt and lemon and pulse until blended. Mix in pine nuts and blend quickly. Pour in the olive oil and blend until thoroughly pureed. Let sit for at least 15 minutes to blend.

To make condiment, mix pesto with miracle whip or mayonnaise until at desired consistency. Maybe use 1/2 to 1 tbsp depending on how much of your pesto you're making condiment with.

Greek Salad 
1/2 cucumber
1/2 green pepper
1 tomato
1/2 red onion
black olives
goat feta
salad dressing (use mushroom marinade recipe

Chop vegetables and toss together. Add as much olive and feta as you like. Toss with salad dressing and let sit for 10 minutes to get nicely marinaded.

Now to put it all together...

Slice off the stem of your mushroom so it lays flat. Slice up the stem. Spread your pesto condiment on both sides of your bun. Sprinkle some goat feta on the bottom. Place whatever toppings you like on the top (I used spinach and tomato). Place your mushroom patty and slice stem on the feta, close up your burger and dive in.

Delicious! I also cracked open a bottle of wine that I recently inherited... but that's more for motivation to finish my paper tonight. It also went really well with my dinner.




No comments:

Post a Comment