Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Spaghetti Squash with Italian Sausage and Vegetable Sauce

I miss pasta. I really do. Unfortunately, Paul won't eat it so there isn't much point in making it for dinner. Sure, I can have it out at a restaurant if I want to, but there are usually so many other delicious things on a menu that pasta isn't ever what I choose. 

I got the idea somewhere to make spaghetti sauce.. which, get this, turns out like spaghetti when you cook it. So I got Paul to roast the squash while I was on my way home from work and then whipped up some home made pasta sauce when I got home. Turned out really well! The squash is a lot crunchier than pasta and I don't feel like a fat sack after eating a pile of it, so all in all, I'd say its a success.

Spaghetti Squash with Italian Sausage and Vegetable Sauce

Ingredients
1 spaghetti squash, roasted and shredded with a fork
4 Italian sausages, grilled 
1 zucchini, sliced
1 carrot, sliced
1 green pepper, diced
12 green beans, snapped in half
1/2 onion, diced
2 cloves of garlic, minced
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 can diced tomatoes
1 can tomato puree
1 tbsp Italian seasoning
1 tsp cayenne pepper
1 pinch red pepper flakes


Directions
1. Heat large pot to medium-hot. Sautee onion and garlic in extra virgin olive oil

2. Throw in vegetables, sautee until tender crisp. Maybe 6 minutes.


3. Add diced tomatoes, tomato puree and seasonings


4. Simmer for 45 minutes on LOW HEAT. If your heat is high, your veggies will get soggy

5. Serve on top of spaghetti squash and eat like pasta

No comments:

Post a Comment