Monday, August 2, 2010

Tomato Peach Chutney

Today is an experimental sort of day. I took ground pork out of the freezer this morning intending to make Curry Pork Burgers. I have made these before and follow the recipe in that link pretty much to the letter. I don't usually make the spicy ketchup, though it's not bad. Usually I make a 'tandoori bbq-sauce' to baste the burgers with on the grill. I'm using quotes around that term because it's basically just tandoori paste and ketchup. 

Anyways, I thought it would be fun to top the burgers with a chutney. I found a recipe for tomato peach chutney, which I THOUGHT I followed, but I just discovered I used cumin instead of curry powder. I think I'll refer to this as a fusion-style chutney, where the mysteriously fragrant sauces of India meet a good old fashioned Mexican salsa. It's actually not that bad. It sort of tastes like chutney, but not exactly. I'm going to post the recipe as I made it, but feel free to substitute curry powder for cumin if you're into a more standard chutney. 


If you made large quantities of this, you could can it. I only made a small amount because I fear canning, as I fear diseases such as botulism.

This chutney would taste good on chicken or pork, or even on top of cream cheese on a cracker. 

Tomato Peach Chutney

Ingredients
2 fresh peaches, peeled and chopped 
2 tomatoes, seeded and chopped
1/2 green pepper, chopped
1/4 cup onion, chopped
1/4 cup golden raisins
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp ground ginger


Directions
1. Mix everything in a pot

2. Bring to a boil, simmer until thickened (about 30 min


3. Allow to cool before serving








 

1 comment:

  1. I've never had tomato and peach together! Now I'm intrigued to see how this combination tastes. :)

    ReplyDelete