Saturday, July 31, 2010

Fresh Tomato & White Bean Salsa

I really like fresh salsa. It's delightfully tasty, sharp and bright on the tongue. Normal salsa is okay, but it can be so bland and packaged-tasting. I think canned salsa is the 'instant coffee' of the salsa world, whereas a good fresh salsa is the 'espresso'.

This one I kind of just made up on my own. I was looking for black beans to make black bean and mango salsa, but I found white beans instead. This is what I came up with.

Fresh Tomato & White Bean Salsa

Ingredients
1 cup white kidney beans, rinsed
1 big tomato, diced
2 green onions, diced
1/3 red pepper, diced
1 tbsp parsley, chopped
1/5 habanero pepper, minced
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 lime, juiced
salt & pepper

I'm not even going to type out the directions. Mix everything in a bowl and let it sit for an hour. I used it to top a chicken fajita, along with some cheese. Since I'm feeling kind of mopey today, I washed the meal down with a blended watermelon-raspberry-grapefruit vodka drink. I made my own tortilla (no sense in having a package since I'm the only one eats them, and rarely) with corn flour, water, salt and lime juice. Turned out a bit dry, but it still tasted good. This time I tried flavouring it with a bit of chili powder. I think it would have turned out better if I had a tortilla press.

Anyways, the salsa was really good. Give it a try!





No comments:

Post a Comment