Sunday, July 25, 2010

Sailing Trip - Dinner of the Week

Sailing trip! My Dad, brother, Paul and I took off Friday after work to head to D'Arcy Island, historical home of a leper colony off the coast of Victoria, BC. D'Arcy Island is somewhere between Cadboro Bay and Sidney Spit. A lovely island, a lovely weekend, delicious food and I only broke one of my toes hiking. It's a delightful shade of purple and blue now. I'm hoping its only a bad sprain, because I would really like to finish playing out my softball season. Cross your fingers for me :)

My family has a tradition of the "Dinner of the Week" - when I was a kid, the award went to the child that produced the best dinner during the work week. My brothers and I would compete for the $1 that came with the honour, although I don't seem to recall ever seeing the prize handed out. In retrospect, I think this competition was a way for my Mom and Dad to get out of having to ever cook dinner. It definitely worked. I'm going to have to remember this trick for when I'm a parent. Anyways, for this sailing trip we all took turns preparing meals. My brother made dinner Friday night, Paul and I made breakfast Saturday morning, and my Dad made lunch on Saturday. We tried to decide who won the "Dinner of the Week" award of weekend, but couldn't decide. I think Paul and I were serious contenders, but I'll let my readers decide. Post your nominee for the winner in the comments. 

Friday Night - John
BBQ Salmon, Salad, Roasted Yams


 Saturday Breakfast - Kim & Paul
Bacon, Scrambled Eggs, Blueberried & Yogurt, Coffee & Baileys


Saturday Lunch - Dad
Sandwiches, chips, olives, dolmades, leftover Salmon

I don't have a picture for Dad's lunch because I was too busy icing my freshly broken toe to operate my camera. The lunch was good, but Dad forgot his ham and was highly dependent on John's snack food to provide his lunch. In the end, it was probably a good thing because we still have way too much food even without Dad's sandwich ingredients, but still - it might call for disqualification. Keep in mind, though, my Dad supplied the salmon for John's BBQ dinner... perhaps that makes it fair? I'll let you decide! 

Dad, if you're reading this, I am a fair and equitable competitor and fully welcome a do-over on a future sailing trip.

1 comment:

  1. You and paul win the dinner of the week because you cooked bacon and because I support alcohol with breakfast when on vacation. If I liked salmon Little Nagle might have had a chance but no dice.

    ReplyDelete