Monday, May 3, 2010

Beef Stroganoff

How does a warm and creamy beef dish sound to you? Good? That's what I said, so I decided to make Beef Stroganoff for dinner. I absolutely love this dish. It is so good after nearly being blown into traffic by the howling wind this morning. The only thing that kept me upright was the torrential downpour coming from the other direction, flying at me at a 90 degree angle. Oh Victoria, how I love thee.


Anyways - as I was saying...Beef Stroganoff is satisfying and delicious. I like mine with lots of mushrooms, Paul does not - so I compromised and used less mushrooms. He's pretty good at picking them out at this stage in our relationship. Normally I would serve this over rice, but as Paul is on the paleo diet, we just ate it as-is. I did make some roasted yams on the side, but I completely forgot to make any vegetables. Oh well.


Beef Stroganoff

Ingredients

1 medium large steak
1 onion (I used half red, half white because that was what I found in the fridge)
6-8 mushrooms (I only used three)
2 tbsp butter
1 cup sour cream
2 tsp dried rosemary

Directions

1. Slice your beef up nice and thin.

2. Slice your mushrooms and onions nice and thin. I sliced the onion in rounds, and then cut the rounds in half. No smaller than that is necessary.

3. Melt the butter over medium-high heat in a sautee pan. Sautee the beef until it's almost cooked (like 2 minutes on one side and maybe 1 minute on the other). Sprinkle salt and pepper over beef as it's cooking. Remove, leaving drippings in pan, set aside.

4. Toss onions and mushrooms into liquid, sautee over medium heat and sprinkle with more salt and pepper and the rosemary. Sautee until nice and carmelized. Turn off heat.

5. With pan over hot (but turned off) element, mixed in sour cream and toss gently until combined. Stir beef back into onion/mushroom/sour cream mixture.

6. Serve over rice, egg noodles or just eat it as-is. You will not be disappointed!




(yummy onions and mushrooms)



(I forgot to take a picture of the finished product, but I managed to wrestle Paul's half-eaten plate away from him long enough to snap a photo)






No comments:

Post a Comment