Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Chorizo

Chorizo. Chorizo chorizo chorizo. Fun to eat, fun to say. It's delicious and I love it - and I am so disappointed with the chorizo in the grocery stores. I HATE the chorizo in the grocery stores. It's oily and bland and is never quite satisfying enough. I went on a mission to discover a recipe for it, and this is what I found. I read a million recipes, and then made my own.

I put it all together last night and left it to refrigerate overnight and then tonight Paul cooked it into little hamburgers. The recipe needs some tweaking, but it's pretty dang close. It's also pretty spicy, so consider yourself warned. I am DELIGHTED with the flavour, even though it's not quite right... it is absolutely full of flavour and zest and will warm your tummy. I plan on making a larger batch and then freezing portions. There are so many possibilities... chorizo and bean chili, chorizo tacos, chorizo and eggs for breakfast. Chorizo meat sauce, chorizo meat balls! Trust me, whip some of this up and freeze it in portions. You will not regret it!

When I modify the recipe, I will drop the chipotle and probably use more chili flakes. Probably more oregano, too. I'm not exactly sure, but I will keep you posted. Maybe a bit more red wine vinegar, or add actual red wine instead. Hard to say, but I will keep you updated. I'd love to hear your thoughts and suggestions!

Chorizo
Ingredients
2 lbs ground pork
1 tbsp chili powder
1/2 tbsp red pepper flakes
1/2 tbsp chipotle powder
1 tsp cayenne pepper
2 tbsp paprika
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp salt
1 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp oregano
1/4 tsp cloves
several turns of pepper grinder
1/4 cup red wine vinegar


Directions
1. Put pork into bowl and pour vinegar over it

2. Grind up all the spices together. I used a mortar and pestle,but you could use a spice grinder or just mix them all together in a bowl

3. Mix and knead spices into pork until evenly distributed

4. Refrigerate for 24 hours

5. Cook however you want (in eggs, as a burger, in a taco etc)





No comments:

Post a Comment